Entries in the BDAV's 2014 Awards competition were offered in the following categories. The major award – the Building Design of the Year – will be selected as the most outstanding submission from the winners of Type 'A' categories. Winners will be announced on 26 July 2014.
Type 'A' Categories
Residential Design – New Houses:
- Up to $300,000 construction cost
- $300,000 – $500,000 construction cost
- $500,001 – $1M construction cost
- Over $1M construction cost
Residential Design – Alterations & Additions:
- Up to $200,000 construction cost
- $200,000 – $500,000 construction cost
- Over $500,000 construction cost
Residential Design – Multi-Residential
- New Project
Best Design of a Special Project
Type 'B' Categories
Heritage Conservation Project:
Best Energy Efficient Design:
Best Environmentally Sustainable Design:
Type 'C' Categories
- Excellence in Use of Steel
- Excellence in Use of Glass
- Excellence in Use of Brick
- Excellence in Use of Timber
- Most Innovative Bathroom Design
- Most Innovative Kitchen Design
- Most Innovative Small Works Project
- Drafting Excellence Award
(1) The maximum number of categories an entrant may nominate for each project is EITHER one ‘Type A’ category plus one ‘Type B’ category, plus 2 ‘Type C’ categories OR one ‘Type A’ category plus two ‘Type B’ categories, plus 1 ‘Type C’ category.
(2) The Judges reserve the right to create sub-categories in the following categories, depending on the number of entries, and type of projects received in these categories:
- Residential Design – Multi-Residential
- Non-Residential Design: New Project/Alterations/Additions
(3) Only projects from Type 'A' categories will be considered for the Building Design of the Year.
(4) If, in the opinion of the Judges, entries in any category do not meet the standards commensurate with the standards of the competition, the Judges reserve the right not to grant an award in any such category.